Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Name Game

Coming up with baby names is a far easier task when you don't actually have a baby on the way. Calvin and I have played the baby naming game for years, almost three to be exact. When Sean and Becky were visiting Maine in 2007, shortly after they found out they were expecting their second child, baby names because a topic of conversation in our house.


Despite the fact Calvin and I have thrown baby names around for years, we were clueless on what we would name our baby. We decided to hold of the conversation all together until we found out if we were having a boy or a girl. What was the point of wasting our energy debating names if 50% of the names would just be thrown out anyway.


When we got the exciting news that we would be having a girl the pressure was on! I had a name that I loved- Cecelia. Calvin wasn't ready to settle on that name. Being the incredibly stubborn person that I am I refused to think of any other names. Calvin would say a name that he likes and then asked me what name I liked and my answer would always be Cecelia. 


Over time, Calvin formed a favorite name and we were at a standstill. It was New Years Eve. when we were driving to the party that Calvin put his foot down. He said if I wasn't going to hear his opinion and only suggest my one name than both of our names were going to be thrown out and we would have to start from square one. That is when I realized how stubborn I was being (yes, it took me that long to realize). Though I hadn't admitted defeat yet, I somehow made Calvin's name better but adding a middle name.


The next day I gave Calvin's name suggestion a lot of thought. I wrote both names down and I decided I could try Calvin's name on for size. The name had two spellings, so that was the next decision to make- what spelling we would go to.


That is when things got messy. When I asked Calvin how he wanted to spell the name he gave me the ugliest, most bizarre spelling. I think my jaw literally dropped. He could not be serious. The two things I wanted in (1) a baby's name was a name that was not in the top 250 so the name is unique and (2) a name that wasn't so unique that people have no idea how to pronounce it. Calvin's spelling fit requirement 1 but went completely against requirement two.


Apparently the only person Calvin ever knew with the name had their name spelled this way. As it turns out, she may be the only person who has ever spelled her name this way because when I googled it she came up on the first page as well as some Asian Holiday.


I put my foot down. There was no way that our baby's name would be spelled that way. Calvin also put his foot down. So we had to do a survey. Our survey really only got as far as Laura and Sarah because they were the only ones we could get through to. Despite them siding with my spelling, the debate was not over.


It was another 24 hours before Calvin stepped down on the spelling and we had our name. We weren't ready to announce it. It still needed to try it on for size so we started talking to her with her new name. Turns out it fit. 


Calvin and I both came out victors. He won the name and I won the spelling. Calvin has also given me rights to the next baby's name and Cecelia can be used then if I want.


So I'm sure if you have read this far you are eagerly awaiting the name. Knowing some of you, you probably already scrolled down to reveal it (tsk tsk).


So I present to you- our baby girl's name...


She gets two middle names because it was important to me to have Cassidy as a middle name for a daughter but we liked the ring of Lacey Grace. If we have another girl she will probably also get Cassidy as a middle name.


You are probably also wondering Calvin's spelling of the name. He wanted to spell it Laesee. Seriously? Seriously? I love him, but seriously?


Correction: Calvin's spelling was Laisee. My bad. Still, though seriously Cal?

No comments:

Post a Comment